Share
Subscribe
Custom Search

Avatar


Main Entry: av·a·tar
Pronunciation: \ˈa-və-ˌtär\
Function: noun
Etymology: Sanskrit avatāraḥ descent, from avatarati he descends, from ava- away + tarati he crosses over.

1 : the incarnation of a Hindu deity (as Vishnu)
2 a : an incarnation in human form b : an embodiment (as of a concept or philosophy) often in a person
3 : a variant phase or version of a continuing basic entity
4 : an electronic image that represents and is manipulated by a computer user (as in a computer game)
5: a film by James Cameron. Aka: ; "Fern Gully Two: Dances with Smurfs"

Ok, so I'm a bit late on this one. What can I say, I'm not a trendsetter, I'm a "oh yeah, I have something to say about that now that it's four months later," kind of guy.


First of all, the movie looked amazing. I saw it in 3D and I'm pretty sure I got some of the ash floating around in one scene in my eye. As I suggested above, the story itself was a mashup of "Dances with wolves" and "Fern Gully" but it was still well within the tolerable zone. Although there is the racial subplot aspect that some people have noted. A kind of whiteman savior plot. "Oh my, now the blue people can't take care of themselves, thank god there is an all american white guy here to save them."

Here's something I am not excited about seeing. "Avatar 2: Nuclear Winter on Pandora." What exactly do we think is going to happen? Sure the giant shark-rhinos came to the rescue, but human's are remarkably persistent and capable of serious ingenuity when tasked with pillaging the environment, engaging in genocide, and other general forms of douchebaggery on an tragic scale. Unless there is some sort of smurf-space-shark, I foresee some orbital bombardment in the sequel.


Finally my last question is about the animals and aliens in this movie. As a contributor on cracked.com put it: "Sure, it may have made more biological sense for Jake Sully to fall in love with, say, a sentient ball of tar. But that would have deprived the viewing audience of something far more important than scientific accuracy: alien boobies."

Over all, I did enjoy the movie, but I enjoy the criticisms of it almost as much. I just wish they were in 3D like the alien boobs were...


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: (+add yours?)

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Keep it smart or I will laugh at you.